Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Hit That: Rise of the Banjo

So, it turns out my father-in-law owns a banjo. It sat unused in the basement. Once I discovered this, I seized the opportunity to bring it home. I had only "played" a banjo a couple of times before and I knew almost nothing of its tuning. But when I discovered that the next song I was to cover was The Offspring's Hit That, I knew that the song's lead keyboard riff would make a perfect banjo part.

Not to brag, but almost as soon as I figured out the tuning, and almost by chance, I plucked out the very riff. After teaching myself a few chords, I think the banjo plays a very nice role in my rendition. I am going for a folk/dance-rock feel here.

Now, I am sure I am the only one who cares about this next detail. The next six songs will be "The Numbers" from LOST. That is, 'Hit That' was song #4 on my shuffled playlist. My next cover is song #8: Dumb Like That by Vroom. The other covers will be 15, 16, 23, and 42, with a couple originals tossed in there.

So there you have it! I present "Hit That"!

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_7497182

No comments:

Post a Comment